A Gift, A Life

Nestled upon the loneliest bench within the embrace of Livingson Valley Park, I found myself as the sun began its ascent, far from the bustling crescendo of midday. But this serene stillness was abruptly interrupted by an unexpected arrival of three people – all donned in sharp, matching black suits and brown portmanteaus. Two of them stationed themselves near the park's entrance. The third chose to occupy the space beside me on the bench. Before I could fully fathom the situation, the figure whom I swiftly christened Mr. Unk (shortened for Unknown), leaned in, his voice slicing through the tranquil morning air.

"A splendid Sunday morning, wouldn't you concur?" he mused.

(Image source)


"Yes... Um... I am a tad confus..." I was interrupted.
"I can sense your heightened perplexity."
"Heightened? What do you mean by heightened? I was sitting merrily in this comfortable little nook until you, Men in Black, strolled into the park!"

"Aren't you already perplexed because of your choices and decisions? Come on, sir, you have to agree. It is life, perplexing and confusing." said he.

Mr. Unk glanced at his companions and then conveyed a subtle message with a gesture before resuming, "Furthermore, I detect a hint of both unease and anger in your tone at this moment: a touch of 'Who are they?' blended with a dash of 'Who do they believe themselves to be?' Am I on the right track?"

"Frankly, I couldn't care less. I'm abandoning this cozy spot to wander across the opposite side of the park. Feel free to do whatever you please. Just give me a heads up if things take a destructive turn; I'd prefer to be at a distance."
"Our purpose for coming here revolves around you."
"For me?" 
"Indeed." 
"What's your intention involving me?"
"We are part of a classified team called 'The Granters Vol. II'. We'll present you with two options, and then we'll fulfill the one you choose."
"What happened to 'The Granters Vol. I'?"
"It seems, they got seriously confused, and a confused team of Granters is equivalent to not having them."
"Seems lucrative, do proceed."
"So here's the proposition: You have two alternatives: 'A Gift' or 'A Life'."

(after opening a piece of rolled paper, he continued) 
Opting for the "Gift" would transform you into an unparalleled maestro in your chosen field. Your impact would resonate across years, earning admiration from future generations. Your name would naturally become synonymous with excellence whenever the subject arises. However, this path might lead you down a solitary path, shrouded in wit and cynicism, driven by an unapologetic ego. You would find yourself holding back from investing precious time in others, fearing that such investments might divert you from your goal. The concept of a "perfect life," a fundamental human aspiration, might remain out of reach.

Opting for "Life" grants you the "perfect existence" – a decent career, an extraordinary family, minimal societal woes, and the ability to forge remarkable friendships. Yet, therein lies the catch: anonymity envelopes you; a nameless entity in the midst of the multitude."

After a brief pause, he asked - "So what would you choose? It could be either of them, but not both."
"Neither", I replied calmly.

"Have you truly pondered this? If you need more time, that's absolutely something I can offer. Should I return in a few days?"
"Nah, I have made my decision."

"I must admit, it's a bit perplexing. Both options come with their own set of advantages and disadvantages, yet I struggle to see any positives in your choice."

"Rather than embracing extremes, I'm choosing to excel in both. While I might not be the foremost name in a particular field, envision me as one of the prominent figures. On the other side, heartbreaks might stem from my actions or be directed my way, and I might find myself entangled in several life-related problems. Yet, with each instance, with my unwavering commitment – I'm dedicated to continuous improvement. This is my life – I aspire to enhance both aspects and extract the utmost from it."

I could see an evident confusion on his face. I stood up and took a few steps toward the exit. Immediately, I turned back and retraced the steps to Mr. Unk.

"See how the tables have turned. Your perplexion is conspicuous. Anyhow, before I leave, I would say two things. First, I was not astonished - I was wondering why you guys would come back to me, albeit knowing my stance. Second, look into the old folders, and look for the final case of "The Granters Vol. I"; they might be helpful in clearing your confusion. Hopefully, never see you again."

Mr. Unk sat there contemplating the response he just heard.  





Siba Smarak Panigrahi

Comments